Monday, September 18, 2017.
What a great day. The sun was shining, the temperatures were more summer-like than fall and we swung the doors open to our 30 Bayley Road Clubhouse to kids ages 5 to 18 for the very first time.
Thanks to our steering committee members who got things rolling. Thanks to the charter board members who worked tirelessly and wore so many hats — from events, to publicity, to governance, to finance, to staffing and beyond. Thanks to the volunteers who helped us clean, paint and prep our new Club.
Thanks to so many, for giving so much, to support this incredibly important effort. Together, we made the Boys & Girls Club of Massena a reality. Together, we have made it possible for thousands of kids for decades to come to achieve GREAT FUTURES.
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 … a truly historic day for the community as the deal is inked to purchase Massena’s Club on Bayley Road.
Board President Timmy J. Currier commented, “This community has helped us get to this important step today, and we are so thankful for the support we have received. This is truly a first big step toward opening the doors to our Club next year.”
While the outpouring of support and donations have been inspiring, the President recognized that there is still work to be done to get the Club open and ensure that it stays open.
“We still have a journey ahead to meet our long-term financial goals; and, there is work we need to do with respect to building design , developing the Club’s programming, obtaining equipment and supplies, as well as identifying and meeting staffing needs, both paid and volunteer. But, we have a dedicated, hardworking Board and team of volunteers who are working diligently on that.
“Now, more than ever, we need the community’s help and support, along with that of our neighboring communities. This club will welcome kids from area communities as well, so we invite our friends and neighbors in this area to join us,” Currier suggested.
The Boys & Girls Club of Massena has hosted a number of successful fundraising events, as well as being the beneficiary of community members / groups hosting events with proceeds going to the Club and making special donations. “This is truly a community project and the broad support we are receiving demonstrates that,” he noted.
With respect to the purchase of this building, Mr. Currier offered special thanks to Reverend and Pastor Scott Fobare and the members of St Mary’s and St. Joseph’s Church. “The symbolism here — where a former school becomes the home of our Club — means a great deal. The educational component of our Club is vital to our success. The hundreds of adults in this community that attended school here and or attended various events here in this building create a long lasting connection to our past.”
He added, “One of our goals with this club is to make Massena a better place, perhaps to bring back more of what’s great about Massena. This building and its history represents a piece of something great in our past. This will agreement which will lead to our club’s home will bridge the greatness of our past with the greatness of our future. When we decided that this building was the best one available to meet our needs, Father Scott and the parish council worked hard to help make this a reality. We appreciate their kind and the generous terms that are reflected in this agreement.”
For links to articles related to the signing, visit our Good News For Great Futures page.
For more than 150 years, Clubs have been helping kids reach their full potential.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with three women in Hartford, Conn.: Mary Goodwin, Alice Goodwin and Elizabeth Hammersley. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born.
In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations – this marked the start of a nationwide Movement and our national organization.
In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.
In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.
To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization’s name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.
2006 marked the Centennial year of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as we celebrated 100 yearsof providing hope and opportunity to young people across the country.
Character development has been the cornerstone of the Boys & Girls Club experience since the first Club opened in 1860. The first Club professional, John Collins, devised a system of informal guidance to attract boys into the Club, capture their interest, improve their behavior and increase their personal expectations and goals.
The procedures Collins used constituted a clearly planned, socially scientific system of taking boys off the street and promoting their development towards a successful, productive future. This system formed the basis of the Boys & Girls Club environment. It is still in use today with proven results.